Built more than 120 years ago on the beach of Coronado Island in San Diego, California, the luxurious Hotel del Coronado has long been a favorite resort of locals and out-of-towners alike. This National Historic Landmark provides visitors with a feeling of old world glam, but in a casual beach environment. Families will feel especially welcome with accommodations that cater to kids and pets and activities the entire family will enjoy.
The Victorian-era resort recently finished an extensive $13 million, two-year renovation encompassing the original Victorian guestrooms, Beach Village villas and cottages, common areas and dining venues. This May the resort will unveil the new “Del Beach” that will include beach cabanas, food and drink service, and beach toys.
Green Initiatives at Hotel Del Coronado
The Hotel del Coronado is a resort that families can feel good about. It is one of only three San Diego resorts that is Green Seal Certified, which means the resort takes pride in waste minimization, energy conservation and management, management of fresh water resources, waste water management, pollution prevention, and environmentally sensitive purchasing.
Seaside Rooms at the Hotel del Coronado
Part of the renovation includes new Blue Dolphin family suites in the Ocean Towers. The suites feature a newly renovated master king bedroom and sitting parlor along with a beach-inspired kids’ bedroom, complete with sand-colored carpet, linens and playful artwork as well as bean bag chairs, crisp white bunk beds, an Xbox gaming system and a treasure chest filled with toys.
Most rooms offer the following complimentary amenities:
- The Del’s signature line of personal care and bath products
- Plush terry robes
- 26 television channels, including HBO
- High-speed Internet access
- Mini refrigerator
- Iron and ironing board
- In-room Keurig coffee maker
- In-room safe
- 24-hour in-room dining service
- Turndown service, upon request
- Daily newspaper available in the lobby
For large families who want a private get-away with extra amenities, the Beach Village has 78 luxurious custom cottages and villas with up to three bedrooms, spacious dining and living rooms, gourmet kitchens, private terraces that have therapeutic spa hot tubs, and fire pits. There is also a pool for Beach Village guests only that includes private cabanas. Beach Village guests get access to private dining at the Windsor Club Cottage, including complimentary breakfast served daily. Feel like staying in for dinner? Not a problem. Del Chefs can prepare your family’s favorite meal in the comfort of your cottage or villa, or you can have the concierge pre-stock the kitchen with your favorite ingredients if you want to cook yourself.
On-Property Dining at the Hotel del Coronado
The Hotel del Coronado has about a dozen eateries on site, from the upscale signature restaurant 1500 Ocean to the poolside Splash Bar & Deli. Families might enjoy the casual ocean-front dining at the Sun Deck Grill with patio fire pits (dogs allowed) or the artisan pizza at Eno. For special treats, the kids are in luck. There’s MooTime Creamery that offers handcrafted ice cream (and great place to visit while waiting for check in), for a wide variety of candy and sweets, and for dessert, don’t miss out on s’mores on the beach. Reservations are taken for 6:30 or 8 p.m. and include unlimited marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers along with roasting sticks and beach chairs, plus an attended to tend the fire. It’s the perfect way to end the day.
Outdoor Activities at the Hotel del Coronado
There is plenty to keep the kids busy at the Hotel del Coronado:
- Treasure Hunt: Upon check-in be sure to pick up your kids’ Adventure Pack that includes a map, compass, whistle, and magnifying glass. The map leads kids to clues hidden under the golden crowns around the property. Solve the mystery and win a prize!
- Bike Rentals: There is a conveniently located bike rental shack on the property. Guests can rent a variety of bikes, including a Surrey that can hold up to six passengers. Follow the bike path along the ocean and through the town of Coronado. Kids love to ring the bell to warn pedestrians to watch out!
- Swimming: The main pool is the perfect place for kids to splash and adults to relax while taking advantage of the typically sunny Southern California weather. Pool towels, kick boards and water toys are provided.
- DelVenture Kids Program: Kids ages four to 12 will love the activites that the Kids Program offers, such as safaris, ocean learning, mosaics, junior photographers, beach olympics and more. Plus, it gives parents some time to enjoy the resort alone.
Guest Services at the Hotel del Coronado
The following services are offered:
- Rental Car
- Valet Parking
- Laundry and Dry Cleaning
- Business Center
- Guest Email & Fax
Hotel del Coronado
1500 Orange Avenue
Coronado, CA 92118